Tuesday, April 07, 2009

the lung sound is "zzzzz"

When Naomi and I got up for qi gung this morning, we were both feeling ill. Speaking for myself, I have a flu+sore throat with lots of phlegm and the toning the lung healing sound was helpful. Trying to balance between superman and leisure king, I pendulumed too far in the highly structured, active direction and got sick.

I became acquainted with the "six healing sounds" in our excellent intro book 100 Days to Better Health, Good Sex and Longer Life by Eric Yudelove. However there is a Zen nun in town who teaches free qi gung community and they suggested I go on youtube to hear how people who heard the sounds with their ears are making them. What good and simple advice it has turned out to be!

The lung healing sound, which I had been making as a soft "ssssssss" because I hadn't really grasped the sound sifu Eric was trying to pass on, is portrayed by Kemeticist Antiba King as "zzzzzzzz", pronounced as low as you can go. KC the Zen nun said you have to just find the lowness or highness of the syllable that makes you organ vibrate. Try "zzzzzzz" really low and you can feel your lungs vibrate.

When I did it, the most amazing thing happened. That damnable wad of plegm, rock solid and really gross and impossible to cough up, vibrated loose of its own accord! It worked like magic, now I can swallow without the acute pain of before and my body, +herbal cough drops and more rest tonight, will be back to spring in a jiffy


BTW, what is qigong? Wikipedia:

"Qigong (or ch'i kung) refers to a wide variety of traditional cultivation practices that involve methods of accumulating, circulating, and working with qi, breathing or energy within the body. Qigong is practiced for health maintenance purposes, as a therapeutic intervention, as a medical profession, a spiritual path and/or component of Chinese martial arts.

The qi in qigong means air in Chinese, and, by extension, life force, dynamic energy or even cosmic breath. Gong means work applied to a discipline or the resultant level of skill, so qigong is thus breath work or energy work.

3 comments:

D. Lollard said...

neato. get well soon.

D. Lollard said...

I've been trying the lung sound. I just now watched the video. I like the movements. My organ is a-vibaratin'. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I am gladdening that you like it! My letter to you is almost finished.

Qigung is part of "take care of yourself and always be happy/healthy", which is often confused by use of terms like "intoxication".

Lately I have resisted washing my hands often enough because the soap smells like chemicals and makes my hands raw. Maybe I should carry nice soap around with me, because part of living healthy to stay healthy is keeping pathogens out of your mucous membranes and I live in a concentrated animal feeding operation, just like the cows and chickens did that humans eat in the cafeteria. THEY just eat the antibiotics instead, poor things. I will probly have to also, gotta go check it out with the clinic.