Sunday, May 21, 2006

la la i love you la

my vision quest is done. after spending only one day and night fasting and being still, the vision came. such things are very personal, but i'll tell you if you ask privately.

check out this poem, by Robinson Jeffers. it was brought up in the context of Edward Abbey's favorite literature, so it MUST be good! next time i'll show you some articles by Seaweed (one of my favorite authors), and the hut i'm about to build.

Vulture
I had walked since dawn and lay down to rest on a bare hillside
Above the ocean. I saw through half-shut eyelids a vulture wheelinghigh up
in heaven,
And presently it passed again, but lower and nearer, its orbit narrowing,I
understood then
That I was under inspection. I lay death-still and heard the flight-feathers
Whistle above me and make their circle and come nearer.
I could see the naked red head between the great wings
Bear downward staring. I said, "My dear bird, we are wasting time here.
These old bones will still work; they are not for you." But how beautiful
he looked, gliding down
On those great sails; how beautiful he looked, veering away in the sea-light
over the precipice. I tell you solemnly
That I was sorry to have disappointed him. To be eaten by that beak and
become part of him, to share those wings and those eyes--
What a sublime end of one's body, what and enskyment; what a life after
death.-Robinson Jeffers, 1962

No comments: